Facts, Facts and more Facts
September 16, 2011
Posted by on
• The NRC administers approximately 3,000 nuclear material licenses a year.
• In 2010, the NRC spent 6,055 inspection hours at operating nuclear reactors, with at least two NRC resident inspectors located at each plant site.
• NRC has bilateral programs of assistance or cooperation with 40 countries.
• The NRC examines transport-related safety during approximately 1,000 safety inspections of fuel, reactor and materials licensees annually.
• 29 nuclear power reactors are permanently shut down or in the decommissioning process.
These facts and far more can be found in the new 2011–2012 Information Digest, just posted on our website. The digest is a very important tool that gives the public valuable insight to the NRC, serves as a great reference for the public and the media, and uses graphics, charts and tables to help illustrate concepts.
You can find the Information Digest online and the NRC has partnered with data.gov to provide some of the information in the appendices as interactive data sets. Additionally, one can find copies of photographs, graphics and tables in the NRC photo gallery to help tell the story!
Public Affairs Officer