U.S. NRC Blog

Transparent, Participate, and Collaborate

Chairman Macfarlane Confirmed For A Five-Year Term

Eliot Brenner
Public Affairs Director

chairmanBy unanimous consent last night, the U.S. Senate confirmed Allison Macfarlane to a full five-year term on the NRC Commission. President Obama had previously indicated he would re-designate her as Chairman. Unanimous consent is a Senate procedure that does not require a member-by-member roll call vote.

Paperwork permitting, we expect her to be sworn into her new term as early as Monday morning.

The NRC is headed by five Commissioners nominated by the President and confirmed by the Senate for staggered five-year terms, with one Commissioner’s term ending on June 30th of each year. One of the five is designated as the Chairman and official spokesperson of the Commission. The other Commissioners are: Kristine Svinicki, George Apostalakis, William Magwood and William Ostendorff.

Macfarlane was originally selected to complete the final year of the term held by the previous chairman. That term expires June 30.

This is what she had to say about the confirmation:

“I am honored by the trust the President has placed in me by nominating me for a full term on the Commission, and grateful that the Senate has confirmed my appointment.

“The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission fulfills an essential mission for the American people, with nuclear safety and security our paramount priority. During the past year, I’ve taken great pride in leading this exceptional agency. We have accomplished a substantial amount, and I am pleased that we will be able to continue this work. I will work with my Commission colleagues and the staff to ensure that the NRC continues to excel. I will remain committed to transparency and continue to seek opportunities to further public engagement. I will also continue to champion the importance of regulatory independence.

“There are a number of significant issues facing the Commission. I have full confidence that we will meet the challenges ahead.”

Note: Allison Macfarlane was sworn in today (July 1) as Chairman of the NRC.

9 responses to “Chairman Macfarlane Confirmed For A Five-Year Term

1. badger777 June 29, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Lets hope she does a good job of methodically shutting down the worst of the nuclear power plants. It’s too bad that Jackzo had to be sacked to make room for her.

2. Jeff Walther June 28, 2013 at 1:02 pm

“During the past year, I’ve taken great pride in leading this exceptional agency. We have accomplished a substantial amount, and I am pleased that we will be able to continue this work.”

Translation: We managed to shut down three perfectly good reactors with regulatory obstructionism, but there are still 100 to go.

“I will work with my Commission colleagues and the staff to ensure that the NRC continues to excel.”

Translation: We’ve done a fantastic job of not issuing new licenses and shutting down any prospect of new licenses on the pretense of waste disposal. BTW, I’m proud to have had a hand in authoring the baseless geological report which provided political cover for killing the waste depository. We will continue to ensure that no new nuclear reactors have a hope of seeing the light of day.

” I will remain committed to transparency and continue to seek opportunities to further public engagement. I will also continue to champion the importance of regulatory independence.”

Translation: We will give every nutcase and crackpot from the anti-nuclear movement a voice in our deliberations and will never ever listen to anyone who might favor nuclear electricity generation. This will be easy as there is no professional organization which actually lobbies for the expansion of nuclear electricity generation.

Translation: Four new reactors did slip past us before I took over, but we’ll be looking for ways to drive cost overruns on those, or to shut down additional operating reactors so as to even out the total.

• Anonymous June 29, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Well said.

I’m still trying to understand how you can become a commissioner without actually knowing anything about nuclear power. This is two in a row now: Jackzo and this one. I pity a nuclear engineer working at the NRC.

While this continues, the Chinese will be building AP1000s in four years. And Americans interesting in investing into nuclear power will simply take their money to China or Korea rather than deal with the Staff.

• badger777 June 29, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Excellent! I agree with her approach. This technology has failed us so many times, it is clear that us little humans are playing with a fire too hot.

• Anonymous July 1, 2013 at 11:38 am

Yes, nuclear power has certainly “failed us so many times” by being the safest, cleanest, AND most reliable source of electricity,

3. CaptD June 28, 2013 at 11:14 am

Great News for the USA and the NRC…

The Chairman has been very receptive to comments from both non industry individuals and groups; something which will only make the NRC better in the long run! Now with a full Five-Year term ahead of her, I’m looking forward to GREAT changes in the way that the NRC is operated, especially in beefing up reactor safety enforcement and normalizing regional inspections so that senior inspectors supervise resident NRC personal in other regions to insure compliance in all 50.90 License Amendments.

• badger777 June 29, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Good point Capt. And when the NRC gets dissed like San Onofre did to them, the penalties need to be severe, including jail time.

• Anonymous July 1, 2013 at 1:26 pm

CaptD and badger777: your grandkids, and their kids, and theirs, are going to wonder what you were thinking.

4. Guillermo Alcocer June 28, 2013 at 11:05 am